Jump in the car and explore a part of Perth you haven’t explore before! Explore Perth shows you all the things to do and see around the Destination Perth Region. From sandboarding in Lancelin to spotting dolphins in Mandurah and wandering through the wildflowers in York, you’ll be surprised at how many family friendly experiences there are to be had in and around Perth.
Our beautiful Perth city is nestled along the Swan River and is overlooked by the huge Kings Park. There are definitely plenty of things to do in Perth city, in fact one day is probably not enough. Perth city is also a great weekender or holiday destination in itself. From attractions, to places to eat, places to play and of course places to stay if you want to extend your Perth city visit into a stay, you’ll be surprised at whats on offer right Perth’s doorstep.
Getting To and Around Perth City
Perth city can be accessed by train, bus, ferry (from South Perth) or by car. The public train stops both in the city and at Elizabeth Quay. The ferry runs daily throughout the day and evening from South Perth to Elizabeth Quay. There are plenty of places to park in the city and the busport is located in the heart of Perth city. You can also use free Perth city CAT buses to get you to many of Perth attractions around the city. CAT buses run to Kings Park to the West, East Perth to the east and Northbridge to the north.
Things To Do in Perth City
- Ring the bells and learn all about the history of the Swan Bell Tower
- Get wet (or try not to get wet) in the Forrest Place Water Labyrinth
- Learn all about WA’s fire and emergency services at the DFES Heritage and Education Centre
- Get an inner city farm experience at Perth City Farm
- Play and explore in Kings Park
- Watch a movie at Palace Cinemas Raine Square
- Cool off at the Hyde Park Water Playground , BHP Water Park , Yagan Square Play Space or Water Labyrinth Forrest Place.
- Hop on and hop off all over the city on the Perth Explorer double decker open top bus tour
- Enjoy hands on activities and learn about everything from dinosaurs to artificial intellegence at the WA Museum Boorla Bardip
- Take a step back in gaming time at The Nostalgia Box Northbridge
- Cruise from Perth city down the Swan River to Fremantle
- Catch the free Yellow CAT to the huge Wellington Square Moort-ak Waadiny Playground
- Play at one of many other Perth City Playgrounds
- And more…
Wellington Square Moort-ak Waadiny Playground
If you want to sit back and let someone else take you on your Perth city experience, there are lots of Perth city tours you can book the family on.
Perth City Accommodation
There are lots of family friendly hotels, motels and apartments throughout the city including Perth Hotels With Indoor Pools perfect for winter inner city stays. You can find the best deals and get last minute bookings on family friendly accommodation in Perth here at HotelsCombined.com. Here are a few family friendly places we loved staying in and around Perth city –
- Hyatt Regency Perth
- Doubletree Hilton Northbridge
- Crowne Plaza Perth
- Crown Towers Burswood
- Crown Metropol Burswood
Fremantle is located 16km south of Perth and is a dynamic port city that is packed with family friendly activities, cafes, restaurants, entertainment and events, all year round. It is know for it’s history, culture, arts and overall entertainment vibe. You can easily spend the day or stay longer at one of Fremantle’s family friendly stays.
Getting To and Around Fremantle
Fremantle can be accessed by train, bus, car or on a Swan River Cruise. The Fremantle Station where both the train and buses arive in Fremantle, is only a short walk from the Esplanade, cafe strip and the Fishing Boat Harbour. There are also free Fremantle CAT buses that run Fremantle station up to South Beach in South Fremantle and back.
Things To Do In Fremantle
Fremantle has a range of family friendly experiences to enjoy during your visit from the amazing Port beaches and Swan River to museums, cafes and restaurants, art works, playgrounds, tourist attractions, live entertainment and events. Some things to do in Fremantle include –
- Skateboard and play at the Esplanade Youth Plaza
- See the big range of fish in the aquariums and enjoy a meal at Cicerellos
- Learn about Fremantle’s history at the Shipwreck Museum and WA Maritime Museum
- Ride the Fremantle Tourist Wheel
- Swim or splash at Bather’s Beach (or dine on the beach deck chairs at Bathers Beach House )
- Book a cruise on the Swan River from Fremantle to Perth
- Play at the Kings Square Wayalup Koort Play Space
- Visit the Fremantle Roundhouse , ring the bell and watch the can firing daily
- Wander Fremantle Markets and enjoy international food and shop for local produce and homewares
- Dine overlooking the Fishing Boat Harbour and play in the big sand pit at Little Creatures
- And more…
Dress up like a pirate at the Shipwrecks Gallery Fremantle
If you want to sit back and let someone else take you on your Fremantle experience, there are lots of Fremantle tours you can book the family on.
Turn your day out into a stay by booking some family friendly accommodation. You can find the best deals and get last minute bookings on family friendly accommodation in Fremantle here at HotelsCombined.com.
Although Rottnest Island is only 19km off the coast of Perth, you will feel like you have travelled to a far away holiday destination. The islands casual atmosphere, stunning beaches all the way round, bike accessible attractions and low road vehicle traffic make for the perfect getaway whether it be for the day, a weekend or longer. Accommodation can be difficult to get on the island however, so if it’s a longer stay you are after – be sure to plan ahead.
Getting To and Around Rottnest Island
Rottnest Island is most commonly accessed by one of Perth’s ferry services . You can also get to Rottnest Island by air and enjoy breathtaking aerial views of the island before you land. Once you are on the island you can get around by foot, by jumping on board the Island Explorer Bus or by bike (bring your own on the ferry or hire a bike from your ferry operator or once on the island)
Things To Do On Rottnest Island
There are lots of Things To Do On Rottnest Island . Here are a few ideas –
- Take a selfie with a Rottnest Island Quokka
- Ride to The Basin or one of the islands other 20 bays for a swim and a snorkel
- Discover the underwater snorkel trails at Little Salmon Bay and Parker Point
- Ride or catch the bus to Cathedral Rocks at the West End to see the New Zealand Fur Seals
- Play Mini Golf at the Rottnest Movies and Mini Golf
- Catch a movie at the historical Rottnest Movie Theatre
- See the whole of Rottnest Island by hopping on and off the Island Explorer Bus
- Hire a pedal board or water bike from Aqua Play Rottnest
- Join in a free guided walking tour of the island
- Treat yourself at the Rottnest Bakery
- And more…
Play a round of mini golf at Rottnest Movies and Mini Golf
Rottnest Island Tours
There is plenty to see and experience both on and around the island on one of these Rotthest Island Tours, where they bring you to the adventure.
Rottnest Island Accommodation
Rottnest Island is a wonderful place to explore or to just slow down and relax over a weekend, week or longer. Accommodation options on Rottnest include –
- The Rottnest Island Campground
- Rottnest Island Authority Premium and Basic Accommodation
- Glamping at Discovery Rottnest Island
- Samphire Rottnest Island
Perth’s Sunset Coast incorporates the 50 kilometres of coastline from Scarborough Beach up to Yanchep that offers spectacular sunsets, beachside dining, sensational beaches and more. The Sunset Coast includes the Cities of Stirling, Joondalup and Wanneroo.
Getting Around The Sunset Coast
These easiest way to cruise around the Sunset Coast is by car or you can also catch several public buses with routes that can take you around the Sunset Coast.
Things To Do On The Sunset Coast
The Sunset Coast is more popular in the warmer months when the beaches can be most enjoyed. Things To Do On The Perth Sunset Coast include –
- Go for a swim, grab a meal and enjoy an icecream at Hillarys Boat Harbour
- Visit the underwater world at AQWA Hillarys Boat Harbour
- Snorkel at the Lagoon Yanchep then dine at the Yanchep Beach Lagoon Cafe
- Visit the cafes and see koalas and kangaroos at Yanchep National Park
- Play beachside at Whale Playground Scarborough , Shorehaven’s Treasure Island Playground Alkimos , Eden Beach Foreshore Jindalee and Lighthouse Adventure Park Eglinton
- Dine on the boardwalk at The Marina Mindarie
- Ride a Quad Bike at the Pinjar Motorcycle Area
- Enjoy a family day out a Outback Splash at The Maze Bullsbrook
Play at Lighthouse Adventure Playground Eglinton
Sunset Coast Tours
The Sunset Coast offers so many fun family experiences, particularly in the northern region of the sunset coast.
Sunset Coast Accommodation
There are lots of hot spot locations on the Sunset Coast to enjoy a family friendly stay, with the added bonus of beautiful beaches close by and amazing sunsets to enjoy at the end of the day. Some popular Sunset Coast stay locations include –
- Scarborough Beach (including Rendezvous Scarborough )
- Hillarys Boat Harbour
- The Marina Mindarie
- Yanchep National Park
- Lancelin (including Experience Lancelin Holiday Park )
Rockingham is located 45 kms south of Perth city and is best known for it’s beautiful foreshore, beaches and unique aquatic wildlife experiences. Off the coast the Rockingham region also includes Garden Island, Penguin Island and Seal Island within the calm waters of the Cockburn Sound.
Getting To and Around Rockingham
The Rockingham Train Station is located on the Mandurah Train line and from the train station it’s a short public bus trip to the Rockingham Foreshore and surrounding Rockingham areas.
Things To Do in Rockingham
Whether you want to relax by the beach or enjoy some adventure on the water, there are lots of tihngs to do in Rockingham.
- Relax, swim and dine on the Rockingham Foreshore
- Swim and snorkel at the Palm Beach Jetty
- Play at the Rockingham Foreshore Pirate Ship Playground and the huge Kwinana Adventure Park
- Catch the ferry to Penguin Island and the Discovery Centre for a unique penguin experience
- Swim with the dolphins on a Wild Encounters tour
Rockingham Foreshore Boardwalk
Jump on a Rockingham Tour and let your guide take you on a unique and adventurous Rockingham experience.
With so much adventure to enjoy and plenty of places to enjoy a meal overlooking the Rockingham Foreshore, you can easily turn your visit to Rockingham into an overnight, weekend or longer adventure with a stay at one of these Rockingham accommodation options.
Mandurah & Peel
The Mandurah and Peel Region is located approx 70km south of Perth and is a popular Perth day trip and getaway location with so much to do and see both along the coastline of Mandurah and the inland Peel destination. There is array of experiences, tours, beaches, attractions and things to do in Mandurah and the Peel Region, you’ll need to come back again and again to do and see it all.
Getting To and Around Mandurah & Peel
Mandurah is accessible by train, with the Mandurah Train Station just a short bus ride away from the Mandurah Foreshore. You may need to hire a car to explore parts of the Peel region.
Things To Do In Mandurah & Peel
Things to do range from ocean adventures in Mandurah to forest and river adventures in the Peel Region.
- Swim at the Kwillena Gabi Circular Pool on the Eastern Mandurah Foreshore
- Ride the Tourist Fun Train along the Eastern Mandurah Foreshore
- Cruise the canals and spot for dolphins with Mandurah Cruises
- Enjoy all the fun of the fair at King Carnival on the Western Mandurah Foreshore
- Play the day away at the Adventurescape Playground South Yunderup or one of Mandurah’s Playgrounds
- Hire an Eco BBQ Boat and do lunch or a sunset dinner on the canals
- So some shopping and play at the huge playground at Mandurah Forum
- Dine along the Murray River at the Ravenswood Hotel
- Grab a treat from the famous Pinjarra Bakery and enjoy a play at the Cantwell Park Pinjarra
- Get a wildlife and conservation experience at Ranger Redz Zoo Peel
Dolphin Cruise & Views Tour with Mandurah Cruises
Mandurah & Peel Tours
There are many tours to help you explore the waters of Mandurah and the Peel Region.
Mandurah & Peel Accommodation
There is no shortage of accommodation options across the Mandurah and Peel Region with something for all budgets both oceanside and amongst nature. Find the best prices and availability on Mandurah and surrounds accommodation We enjoyed our stay at The Atrium Mandurah and River Resort South Yunderup (Peel Region).
Swan Valley & Surrounds
Even though the Swan Valley is just 25km from Perth city you’ll feel like you’ve been transported somewhere much further away. With rolling vineyards, farmlands and the Hills in the background, it’s hard not to relax and unwind while in the Swan Valley. The Swan Valley and surrounds region includes Bullsbrook, Guildford, Bindoon and Chittering.
Getting Around the Swan Valley
The best way to get around the Swan Valley is by car, however there are lots of Swan Valley cycle trails you might like to enjoy if you are an active family.
Things To Do In The Swan Valley
There’s is so much to do in the Swan Valley and surrounds you may need to spend more than a day or come back again to experience all that you want to do.
- Enjoy free chocolate tasting at the Margaret River Chocolate Factory and Whistlers Chocolate
- Explore and play at Whiteman Park with playgrounds, mini water playground (seasonal), walk trails, pedal kart hire , museums and Caversham Wildlife Park
- Stretch your legs and play at one of the many Swan Valley and surrounds playgrounds
- Visit a family friendly Swan Valley Brewery or Swan Valley Winery , like Bailey Brewing Co , The Henley Brook , or Mandoon Estate
- Stop for a cuppa or a bite to eat at a Swan Valley Restaurant or Cafe , including Swan Valley Station
- Ride the pedal boats at Oakover Grounds
- Play a round of mini golf at the Vines or Mulberry on the Swan
- Get yourself a cheese tasting platter and endulge while overlooking vineyards and the hills at The Cheese Barrel
- Experience all the different ways honey can be used at The House of Honey & Sticky Spoon Cafe
- Grab an icecream at Oggies Cafe
- Watch pasta being made or join in a kids pasta making session at Pasta in the Valley
- Take a drive out to Bindoon and grab a declious treat from The Bindoon Bakehaus and Cafe
- And more…
Play, picnic, see the animals and shop at Swan Valley Station
Swan Valley Accommodation
The Swan Valley is the perfect place for a family friendly weekender or getaway. Staying in the Swan Valley means you are close to all the attractions and things to do so you can do one or two things a day then come back and relax at your family friendly Swan Valley Accommodation .
Hop in the car and drive east to WA’s first inland settlement, the Avon Valley. The Avon Valley includes York , Northam, Toodyay, Beverley, New Norcia and Brookton.
Getting to the Avon Valley
If you want to explore the Avon Valley it’s best done by car, however you can also ride The Avon Link train line, it runs from Midland to Northam via Toodyay.
Things To Do in the Avon Valley
- Have an icecream and play at the York Icecream Co
- Swim and ride the waterslide at the Northam Aquatic Centre (seasonal)
- Visit the animals at the Toodyay Fairytale Farm
- Play and cross the bridge at Avon Pioneer Park York
Avon Valley Tours
One of the top tour experiences in the Avon Valley is a hot air balloon ride at sunrise over starting from Northam.
Avon Valley Accommodation
If you want to stay out in the Avon Valley so you can explore over a weekend or longer stay, search for accommodation and find prices at HotelsCombined.com.
Perth Car Hire
Visitng Perth and need a car to explore with? Check out the rates and family specials at Europcar!
We make every effort to ensure all this information is up to date but should be used as a guide only. Events do get cancelled or changed and venues can close without notice. Always follow the links provided for up to date information on an event or activity. If you know of a change or cancellation we’ve missed then please contact us to let us know.